Recently, the inaugural session of the 12 Green Rating for Integrated Habitat Assessment (GRIHA) Summit was organised virtually.
Theme: Rejuvenating Resilient Habitats.
- It’s Purpose serve as a platform to deliberate on innovative technologies and solutions which shall help in creating robust mechanisms for developing sustainable and resilient solutions for the benefit of the entire community.
- The Vice President of India launched the SHASHWAT magazine and the book ’30 Stories Beyond Buildings’ during the event.
- Green Rating for Integrated Habitat Assessment (GRIHA) is the national rating system of India for any completed building construction.
- GRIHA is recognised as India’s own green building rating system in India’s Intended Nationally Determined Contributions (INDC)submitted to the United Nations Framework Convention on
- Climate Change (UNFCCC).
- It was conceived by The Energy and Resources Institute(TERI) and developed jointly with the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.
THE ENERGY AND RESOURCES INSTITUTE
- The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) is a non-profit research institute which conducts research work in the fields of energy, environment and sustainable development for India and the global south.
- It was established in 1974 as Tata Energy Research Institute and renamed to The Energy Resources Institute in 2003.
- To help design green buildings and, in turn, help evaluate the ‘greenness’of the buildings.
- The system has been developed to help ‘design and evaluate’ new buildings(buildings that are still at the inception stages). A building is assessed based on its predicted performance over its entire life cycle.
- Site selection and planning
- Conservation and efficient utilization of resources
- Building operation and maintenance
- Innovation points
- This system, along with the activities and processes that lead up to it, benefitsthe community with the improvement in the environment by reducingGHG (greenhouse gas) emissions, reducing energy consumption andthe stress on natural resources.