Recently, the 5 India Water Impact Summit (IWIS), organised by the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) and Center for Ganga River Basin Management and Studies (cGanga) has held virtually.
About the Summit:
- India Water Impact 2020 is a five-day long summit, hosting experts and academicians from all over the world to discuss and debate issues related to water conservation, water security and river rejuvenation.
- Theme: Comprehensive analysis and holistic management of local rivers and water bodies with focus on Arth Ganga – river conservation synchronized development.
- At the event, Norwegian Institute of Bioeconomy Research signed an MoU with cGanga for development of a sludge management framework in India.
National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG):
- It is the implementation wing of the National Council for Rejuvenation, Protection, and Management of River Ganga also known as National Ganga Council (set in 2016; which replaced the NRGBA).
- NMCG was established in the year 2011 as a registered society.
- It has a two-tier management structure and comprises the Governing Council and Executive Committee.
- The aims and objectives of NMCG are:
- To ensure effective control of pollution and rejuvenation of the river Ganga by adopting a river basin approach to promote intersectoral coordination for comprehensive planning and management.
- To maintain minimum ecological flows in the river Ganga with the aim of ensuring water quality and environmentally sustainable development.
- In 2014, ‘Namami Gange Programme’ was launched as an Integrated Conservation Mission, to accomplish the twin objectives of effective abatement of pollution, conservation, and rejuvenation of National River Ganga.
- The program is being implemented by the NMCG, and its state counterpart organization viz., State Program Management Groups (SPMGs).
- It has a budget outlay of Rs. 20,000 crore.
The main pillars of the programme are:
- Sewerage Treatment Infrastructure & Industrial Effluent
- River-Front Development & River-Surface Cleaning,
- Bio-Diversity & Afforestation, and
- Public Awareness.
Centre for Ganga River Basin Management and Studies (cGanga):
- It was established at the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur (IITK) in 2016.
- The Centre is a Centre of Excellence for data collection, the creation and dissemination of knowledge and information for the sustainable development of Ganga River Basin.
- The centre acts in the capacity of a comprehensive think-tank to the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG), in its stated goals and objectives vis-à-vis the Ganga River Basin.