Syllabus: Defence Technology
Mahendragiri, the last Project 17A Frigate, will be launched at M/s Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited, Mumbai on 01 Sep 23.
- It was named after a mountain peak in Eastern Ghats located in the state of Orissa, is the seventh ship of the Project 17A Frigates.
- These warships are follow-ons of the Project 17 Class Frigates (Shivalik Class), with improved stealth features, advanced weapons and sensors and platform management systems.
- The newly christened Mahendragiri is a technologically advanced warship and stands as a symbol of India’s determination to embrace its rich naval heritage, while propelling itself towards a future of indigenous defence capabilities.
The Project 17A program
- Under the Project 17A program, a total of four ships by M/s MDL and three ships by M/s GRSE are under construction.
- The first six ships of the project have been launched so far by MDL & GRSE, between 2019-2023.
- Project 17A ships have been designed in-house by Indian Navy’s Warship Design Bureau, the pioneer organisation for all warship design activities.
- Aligning with the country’s resolute commitment to ‘Aatma Nirbharata’, a substantial 75% of the orders for equipment and systems of Project 17A ships have been ordered on indigenous firms, including Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs).
- The launch of Mahendragiri is an apt testament to the incredible progress our Nation has made in building a self-reliant naval force.