The Madras Park Fair, opened much against popular wishes and in the teeth of united opposition of the City Fathers and a section of the Press, came to an unhappy termination last night (January 1). Fireworks were widely advertised all through the City. People assembled in large numbers at 8 P.M. His Excellency the Governor was also present to witness the tamasha. At about 11 O’clock when the display of fireworks was about to close, one of the pots burst, scattering thick sparks all round. The fire engine shed was the first to catch. The petrol kept there for the use of the engine also caught fire. As the fire engine could not be easily brought out, the task of extinguishing the fire was rendered difficult. A few buckets of water could not suffice. Fire engines were telephoned for. But before their arrival the fire spread from stall to stall to the south. Nine booths including the engine-shed were ablaze, the metal-ware stall, the Amrutanjan Depot, the Temperance booth, the confectioner’s shop, the Trash Bazaar, the lottery booth and the fruit and flower bazaars.