India will celebrate 50 Years of Indo-Pak War, also called Swarnim Vijay Varsh on 16 December 2020. Inaugural event of the celebration will be held at the National War Memorial (NWM) in New Delhi which will be attended by the Prime Minister.
1. The National War Memorial is a tribute to the soldiers who laid down their lives defending the nation, post-independence it also commemorates the soldiers who participated and made the supreme sacrifice in
2. Peacekeeping Missions, and Counter Insurgency Operations.
3. Vijay Diwas is observed on 16 December every year to mark India’s victory over Pakistan in the 1971 war.
4. The Government of India decided on 3 December 1971, that India would go for war with Pakistan to save Bengali Muslims and Hindus.
5. This war was fought between India and Pakistan for 13 days.
6. On 16 December 1971, the chief of the Pakistani forces with 93,000 soldiers had surrendered unconditionally to the allied forces consisting of Indian Army and Mukti Bahini in Dhaka.
7. Mukti Bahini refers to the armed organizations that fought against the Pakistan Army during the Bangladesh Liberation War. It was a guerrilla resistance movement.
8. Bangladesh was born on this day. Hence, Bangladesh celebrates its independence day (Bijoy Dibos) on 16 December every year.