- Recently, the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) felicitated various industrial units, institutions and establishments with 31st National Energy Conservation Awards (NECA) on the occasion of National Energy Conservation Day (14th December) to showcase India’s achievements in energy efficiency and conservation.
- A new award – National Energy Efficiency Innovation Awards (NEEIA) is also institutionalized.
Bureau of Energy Efficiency
- The BEE is a statutory body established through the Energy Conservation Act, 2001 under the Union Ministry of Power.
- It assists in developing policies and strategies with the primary objective of reducing the energy intensity of the Indian economy.
- BEE coordinates with designated consumers, designated agencies, and other organizations to identify and utilize the existing resources and infrastructure, in performing its functions.
- The Ministry of Power had launched a scheme in 1991, to give national recognition through awards to industries and establishments that have taken special efforts to reduce energy consumption while maintaining their production.
- The awards were given away for the first time on 14th December, 1991, which was declared as the National Energy Conservation Day.
- It recognizes the energy efficiency achievements in 56 sub-sectors across industry, establishments and institutions.
SOURCE: THE HINDU,THE ECONOMIC TIMES,MINT