- Recently, the Central Public Works Department (CPWD)has started the process to identify 4% of posts of junior engineer (civil and electrical) to be reserved for persons with disabilities (PwD) as mandated by the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016(RPwD Act).
- The Central construction agency wrote to its regional offices to identify 4% of the posts and places where persons with benchmark disabilities can be posted.
- The CPWD asked the regional centers to also make “appropriate reasonable accommodation” for PwD, as the RPwD Act says.
- Earlier, the expert Committee (under CPWD) was of the view that the PwD need to have requisite technical qualification or the post in the first place and subsequently he or she has to compete in the selection process to be considered for the post,
- Later, the committee advised CPWD to follow the DEPWD’s notification for recruitment to JE (civil and electrical).
Constitutional Provisions related to Disability
- Article 41 of the Directive Principles of State Policy (DPSP) states that State shall make effective provision for securing right to work, to education and to public assistance in cases of unemployment, old age, sickness and disablement, within the limits of its economic capacity and development.
- The subject of ‘relief of the disabled and unemployable’ is specified in the state list of the Seventh schedule of the constitution.
- The types of disabilities have been increased from 7 to 21.
- The Act added mental illness, autism, spectrum disorder, cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, chronic neurological conditions, speech and language disability, thalassemia, hemophilia, sickle cell disease multiple disabilities including deaf blindness, acid attack victims and Parkinson’s disease
- In addition, the Government has been authorized to notify any other category of specified disability.
- It increased the reservation for people suffering from disabilities from 3% to 4% in government jobs and from 3% to 5% in higher education institutes.
- Every child with benchmark disability between the age group of 6 and 18 years shall have the right to free education. Government funded educational institutions as well as the government recognized institutions will have to provide inclusive education.
Central Public Works Department (CPWD)
- CPWD came into existence in July, 1854 when Lord Dalhousie established a central agency for execution of public works and set up Ajmer Provincial Division.
- It has been serving the nation for the last 164 years.
- It has now grown into a comprehensive construction management department, which provides services from project concept to completion, consultancy and maintenance management.
- It is headed by Director General (DG) who is also the Principal Technical Advisor to the Government of India. The regions and sub-regions are headed by Special DGs and Additional DGs respectively, while the zones in all state capitals (except a few) are headed by Chief Engineers.
- CPWD has pan India presence and has ability to undertake construction of complex projects even in difficult terrain and maintenance in post construction stage.
- CPWD had been involved in construction of stadiums and other infrastructure requirements for Asian Games 1982 and Commonwealth Games 2010.
SOURCE: THE HINDU,THE ECONOMIC TIMES,MINT