- Recently, a flight demonstration of the Controlled Aerial Delivery System of 500 kg capacity (CADS-500) was conducted by Aerial Delivery Research and Development Establishment (ADRDE).
- The flight demonstration is part of a series of activities organised towards celebrating ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav, commemorating 75 years of Independence.
- The CADS-500 is used for precise delivery of payload upto 500 kgs at predetermined location by making use of manoeuvrable capabilities of Ram Air Parachute (RAP).
- It uses the Global Positioning System for the coordinates, altitude and heading sensors for the heading information during its flight.
- The CADS, with its onboard electronics unit, autonomously steers its flight path using waypoint navigation towards target location by operating controls.
- A positioning system is a tool to determine the location of an individual or object. The technology requires global coverage and sharp accuracy to achieve the exact location.
- For Example: ‘Google Maps’ is one of the positioning and navigation systems that helps individuals to find their exact location as well as a path to their destination. However, the system only offers a satellite view of the region under navigation.
- GPS is a satellite navigation system, used to determine the ground position of an object. It is a U.S.-owned utility that provides users with positioning, navigation, and timing (PNT) services.
- It is a network 24 satellite which provides service to civilian and military users. The civilian service is freely available to all users on a continuous, worldwide basis. The military service is available to U.S. and allied armed forces as well as approved Government agencies.
SOURCE: THE HINDU,THE ECONOMIC TIMES,MINT