Recently, the Indian Railways has announced the new scheme ‘Bharat Gaurav’ to tap the huge potential of tourism.
- Under the scheme, now trains have a third segment for tourism. Till now, the Railways had passenger segments and goods segments.
- These trains are not regular trains that will run as per a timetable but will be more on the lines of the Ramayana Express being run by the IRCTC
- It was announced under the theme-based tourist circuit trains. These trains will be run, by both private players and IRCTC, in theme-based circuits
- By theme-based tourism (circuits), the railways means trains like Guru Kripa that goes to all places related to Guru Nanak or a Ramayan-themed train to touch upon places related to Lord Ram.
- Anyone, from societies, trusts, consortia and even state governments can apply to take these trains and run them on special tourism circuits based on a theme.
- Service Provider will offer all inclusive packages to tourists including rail travel, hotel accommodation, sightseeing arrangement, visit to historical/heritage sites, tour guides etc.
These trains will help realise India’s rich cultural heritage and magnificent historical places to the people of India and the world. They will also help in tapping the vast tourism potential of India.
SOURCE: THE HINDU,THE ECONOMIC TIMES,MINT