- Prime Minister of India launched the ‘Call Before u Dig’ (CBuD) app recently.
- To facilitate coordination between excavation agencies and underground utility owners to prevent damage to utilities due to digging.
- To prevent damage to underlying assets like optical fiber cables that occurs because of uncoordinated digging and excavation.
- It is an initiative of the Department of Telecommunications, Ministry of Communications.
- The CBuD app will connect excavators and asset owners through SMS/Email notifications and click to call so that there are planned excavations in the country while ensuring the safety of underground assets.
- It gives excavating companies a point of contact where they can inquire about the presence of existing subsurface utilities prior to starting excavation work.
- Utility owners can also find out about impending work at the location.
SOURCE: THE HINDU, THE ECONOMIC TIMES, PIB