- The 3rd edition of joint training exercise between Indian and Uzbekistan armies, EX-DUSTLIK is being conducted at Yangiarik, Uzbekistan from 22nd to 31st March 2022.
- The exercise would focus on Counter Terrorism operations in semi-urban terrain under a United Nations Mandate.
- The Grenadiers battalion is nominated for the exercise. The battalion is one of the highly decorated battalions of the Indian Army.
- The training schedule will focus primarily on sharing tactical level drills and learning of best practices from each other.
- It aims at enhancing understanding, cooperation and interoperability between two armies.
- The last edition of DUSTLIK was conducted in Ranikhet (Uttarakhand) in March 2021.
- Uzbekistan is important to India for security and connectivity to the Central Asian Region and also Iran, it is also one alternative India has with respect to Afghanistan.
- Security concerns stemming from the conflict in Afghanistan is one of the major challenges for India’s involvement in Central Asia.
SOURCE: THE HINDU,THE ECONOMIC TIMES,MINT