- Recently, the 11th Edition of Joint Military Exercise EKUVERIN between India & Maldives has been started at Kadhdhoo Island, Maldives.
- Earlier, the 15th edition of the biennial trilateral Coast Guard Exercise ‘Dosti’ involving India, the Maldives and Sri Lanka was held in the Maldives.
- India and Maldives have been conducting Exercise Ekuverin meaning ‘Friends’ in the Maldivian language since 2009.
- The 14 days Joint Exercise is held alternatively in India and Maldives.
- It focuses on enhancing interoperability between the two forces for carrying out counter insurgency and counter-terrorism operations in a semi-urban environment under the United Nations mandate.
- This year’s exercise will also include cultural and sports activities to enhance defence cooperation and bilateral relations. The exercise will go a long way in strengthening India’s relations with Maldives amidst emerging security dynamics in the Indian Ocean Region.
SOURCE: THE HINDU,THE ECONOMIC TIMES,MINT