Context: Chennai Metropolitan Water Supply and Sewerage Board (CMWSSB) is set to complete by November the work to map water and sewer infrastructure in the city with the geographic information system (GIS) database and geo-tag the locations.
- executed under the Tamil Nadu Urban Flagship Investment Programme
- funded by the Asian Development Bank
- The water board looks to address complaints related to water supply and sewer blocks through the initiative.
- Objective – to identify issues even at the household level with maps and accurate GPS coordinates – rectify mismatch between old records of infrastructure and those found on the worksites – help in better planning and prevent repair during road-cutting
- Any repair work or project to improve the infrastructure will be updated online every month.