- Recently, the Ministry of Tribal Affairs has launched 14 Honey Farmer Producer Organizations (FPOs) of TRIFED (Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India) along with various other initiatives such as The TRIFED Van Dhan Chronicle, The MIS Portal for Minimum Support Price for Minor Forest Produces etc.
- The TRIFED Van Dhan Chronicle documents the work done for the promotion of tribal enterprises in the country and the achievements of tribal entrepreneurs under the Van Dhan Vikas Yojana.
- The MIS Portal for Minimum Support Price for Minor Forest Produces (MFPs), is a ready dashboard for the authorised users of The Ministry of Tribal Affairs and TRIFED. In this dashboard, data is available on a real-time basis, pertaining to the list of procurement centres and their locations, and the procurement of MFPs being done across the country.
- A central sector scheme titled “Formation and Promotion of 10,000 Farmer Producer Organizations (FPOs)” was launched in 2020 to ensure economies of scale for farmers over the next five years.
- Under this scheme, special emphasis has been laid on beekeeping by the formation of 100 FPOs in identified potential Districts/States.
- Beekeeping activity has been recognized as one of the important activities by Govt of India for its promotion and development to achieve “Sweet Revolution” in the endeavour of enhancing income of farmers.
- The National Bee Board (NBB), under the National Beekeeping & Honey Mission (NHBM), has planned to develop the scientific bee-keeping value chain for honey across 100 clusters in the country.
- TRIFED has been made the implementing agency by Ministry of Agriculture to undertake the formation of 14 Honey FPOs alongside NAFED (National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation of India Ltd) and NDDB (National Dairy Development Board) in the states of Chhattisgarh, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Odisha and Gujarat.
SOURCE: THE HINDU,THE ECONOMIC TIMES,MINT