- India will host the annual summit of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) in the virtual format in July.
- The last SCO summit took place in the Uzbek city of Samarkand that was attended by all top leaders of the grouping ie Modi, Xi Jinping and Vladimir Putin.
- India had assumed the rotating chairmanship of the SCO at the Samarkand Summit on September 2022.
- India will host the summit in Virtual format and it did not cite reasons for holding the summit in the virtual mode.
- All the SCO member states ie China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan have been invited to attend the summit.
- Besides Iran, Belarus and Mongolia have been invited as observer states. As per SCO tradition, Turkmenistan has been invited as the guest of the chair.
Six international and regional organizations that have been invited to the summit:
- The United Nations
- CIS (Commonwealth of Independent States),
- CSTO (Collective Security Treaty Organization),
- EAEU (Eurasian Economic Union)
- CICA (Conference on Interaction and Confidence Building Measures in Asia).
SOURCE: THE HINDU, THE ECONOMIC TIMES, PIB