Syllabus: Security challenges and their management in border areas
The Army has signed contracts for the procurement of 130 tethered drones and 19 tank-driving simulators under Emergency Procurement (EP) and they will be delivered in 12 months. The armed forces are currently executing the fourth tranche of EPs sanctioned by the Defence Ministry.
- Indian Army has signed the contract for procurement of 130 Tethered Drones and 19 Tank Driving Simulators.
- The induction of such new equipment will enhance the overall operational preparedness
- The long-endurance tether drone systems are contracted at an approximate value of ₹250 crore and can be used in high-altitude areas, one official said.
- Mumbai-based ideaForge won a repeat contract last year from the Army to supply 200 of its Switch Vertical Take Off and Landing (VTOL) mini-Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV).
- The Army had earlier contracted drones that can hit targets with 5-10 kg explosives from Bengaluru-based firm NewSpace.