- India will be the first country to auction spectrum for satellite communication (SatCom), and it should be designed to attract investments in the sector, telecom regulator TRAI chairman P.D. Vaghela said on Tuesday.
- Speaking at a Broadband India Forum summit on SatCom, Mr. Vaghela said the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) would soon make recommendations to make permissions required for satellite communication from various Ministries
— Information and Broadcasting, Space and Telecom
— seamless to enhance ease of doing business in the sector.
- He also said TRAI had received a reference from the Department of Telecommunication for the spectrum required to be put to auction and associated aspects of satellite-based communication.
- TRAI is yet to come up with a consultation paper on the spectrum auction as per the standard process meant for satellite communication.
- When asked about the status of the paper, Mr. Vaghela said that TRAI was in discussion with experts and regulators worldwide for a suitable model and the consultation paper would be floated after those discussions are over.
SOURCE: THE HINDU, THE ECONOMIC TIMES, PIB