Reservation to EWS
- Due to the efforts of the Government, New Articles 15(6) and 16(6) were inserted in the Constitution vide the Constitution 103rdAmendment Act 2019.
- These Articles enable the States to provide upto 10% reservation for the Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) in Government jobs and Government Educational Institutions. Based on this 10% reservation scheme for the EWS was implemented by the Government in January 2019.
- Several Writs were filed before the Supreme Court challenging the validity of the Constitution 103rdAmendment Act 2019. The lead case being WP 55 of 2019 – Janhit Abhiyan vs UOI. All these cases were referred for consideration of the Constitution bench by the Supreme Court on 5.8.2020.
- The Constitution Bench vide its majority judgment dated 7.11.2022 has upheld the validity of the Constitution 103rdAmendment Act 2019 and dismissed all the Writs.
Addiction Treatment Facilities (ATFs):
- National Drug Dependence Treatment Centre (NDDTC), All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi was entrusted with the task of setting up of 125 Addiction Treatment Facilities (ATFs) in Government Hospitals in 125 identified vulnerable districts/areas wherein no IRCAs were functional.
- 41 ATFs have been approved and services have been rolled out in 29 ATFs.
Pre & Post Matric Scholarship for SCs
- From FY 2022-23, Pre-Matric Scholarships Schemes for SCs and Others is required to run online and Central Assistance will be paid directly into the account of beneficiaries through Direct Beneficiary Transfer (DBT) through APBS;
- From FY 2022-23, under Post and Pre-Matric Scholarship scheme for SCs, all verification process of the students shall be done using the authenticated databases automatically using the digital processes with little or no manual intervention;
- From FY 2022-23 under Pre-Matric Scholarship scheme, online end to end processing, verification of eligibility credentials through online transaction to ensure greater transparency, control duplicity and wrongful claims by institutions has been started;
- From FY 2022-23, scholarship applications is being invited on the State’s Scholarship Portals for the verification of beneficiaries’ credentials for both the above mentioned schemes for smooth and effective implementation of the schemes.
The physical and financial achievements made by thisDepartment during the year 2022 are as under:
Pradhan Mantri AnusuchitJaatiAbhyuday Yojana (PM AJAY)
Pradhan Mantri AnusuchitJaatiAbhyuday Yojana(PM-AJAY) has been framed after merging the three erstwhile schemes of this Department, namely, Pradhan Mantri Adarsh Gram Yojana(PMAGY), Special Central Assistance to Scheduled Caste Sub Plan(SCA to SCSP) and BabuJagjivan Ram Chatrawas Yojana(BJRCY), to be implemented as components of the merged scheme, for better convergence and optimum utilization of resources. The objectives of the Scheme are as under:
(a) Reduce poverty of the SC communities by generation of additional employment opportunities through skill development, income generating schemes and other initiatives.
(b) Improve socio-economic developmental indicators by ensuring adequate infrastructure and requisite services in the SC dominated villages.
(c) Increase literacy and encourage enrollment of SCs in schools and higher educational institutions by providing adequate residential facilities in quality institutions, as well as residential schools where required, especially in the aspirational districts/ SC dominated blocks and elsewhere in India.
Specific achievements of Commissions:
(a) National Commission for SafaiKaramcharis (NCSK)
Following initiatives were taken during the period:
- Two Regional Conferences and 15 meetings through VCs were held with State officials. During these meetings, the followings points were highlighted:
- Relevant provisions of M. S. Act, 2013 be invoked in Fl Rs registered in sewer/septic tank death cases, investigation & trial should be fast tracked.
- Most of the states have no separate budget head and no allocation of funds for payment of compensation under the Supreme Court judgment dated 27.03.2014. Accordingly, they were advised to open appropriate budget heads and allocate funds for the purpose.
- Mechanization of sewer/septic tank cleaning be made on war footing in order to stop loss of valuable human life during such cleaning.
- Compensation be paid in the light of the Supreme Court judgment dated 27-03-2014 and keeping in view the humanitarian aspect of the level of financial and social suffering of the families of the deceased
- Compensation be paid in terms of the Supreme Court judgment over and above any payment made in pursuance of any other act/rule/guideline.
- Cases where legal heirs are not traceable, advertisement be made at least three times in one local and one national newspaper. Where partial payment had already been made, the details of the legal heirs might be ascertained from the bank account or payment voucher of the legal heirs.
- State Level Monitoring Committee meetings as well as District Vigilance Committee meetings need to be convened in the States in terms of M. S. Act, 2013
- State level commission be constituted or any agency designated in terms of M. S. Act, 2013 on priority to look after the issues of SafaiKaramcharis in the States.
Pradhan Mantri DakshtaAurKushaltaSampannHitgrahi (PM DAKSH) Scheme
- Pradhan Mantri DakshtaAurKushaltaSampannHitgrahi (PM-DAKSH) Scheme under which skilling are provided to marginalized persons covering SCs, OBCs, EBCs, DNTs, Sanitation workers including waste pickers, through Corporations( NSFDC, NBCFDC and NSKFDC) under Department of SJE.
- Under PM DAKSHA Scheme NSFDC’s target are providing the skill training is 20,600 during 2022-23
- The Skill training for 659 trainees has been commenced
- The Ministry enacted “The Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act, 2019” and provisions of the same came into force on 10th Jan, 2020.
- For implementation of the Act, The Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Rules, 2020 have been formulated and same have been notified on 29.09.2020.
- A National Council for Transgender Persons was constituted on 21st August 2020 to advise Government on policies, programmes, legislation and projects with respect to transgender persons.
- Ministry has launched a National Portal for Transgender Persons on 29.09.2020. Any Transgender applicant can obtain Certificate of Identity and Identity Card online without any physical interface with the office of issue. As of now, more than 9500 certificates have been issued.
- A MoU has been signed with National Health Authority on 24.08.2022 for providing a comprehensive Medical package to Transgender Persons in convergence with Ayushman Bharat Yojana.
- The Comprehensive Package would cover all aspects of transition related healthcare for Transgender persons.
- It will also (not exhaustive) provide coverage for hormone therapy, gender reassignment surgery inclusive of post operation formalities which can be redeemed at all private and government healthcare facilities.
SOURCE: THE HINDU, THE ECONOMIC TIMES, PIB