- Utsa Patnaik, an economist of national and international repute, has been selected for the Malcolm Adiseshiah Award, 2023.
- The award is given every year by the Malcolm & Elizabeth Adiseshiah Trust.
- The prestigious national award honours outstanding social scientists selected by a national-level jury specially constituted for this purpose, from the nominations received.
- The award will be given with a citation and a prize money of ₹2 lakh.
- Indian economist Prabhat Patnaik won the award in 2022.
- Malcolm Sathiyanathan Adiseshiah was an Indian development economist and educator.
- In 1976 he was awarded the Padma Bhushan.
- In 1998, UNESCO created the Malcolm Adiseshiah International Literacy Prize in recognition of his contribution to education and literacy.
- The prize rewards organizations or individuals who displayed outstanding merit and achieved with particularly effective results in contributing to the fight for literacy among the member countries of UNESCO.
- He was nominated to the Rajya Sabha, the upper house of the Parliament of India, in 1978.
SOURCE: THE HINDU, THE ECONOMIC TIMES, PIB