- Union Sports Minister Anurag Thakur on Monday announced that six-time World champion and Olympic medallist boxer M.C. Mary Kom will head a government-appointed five-member Oversight Committee to investigate the charges levelled by some prominent wrestlers against Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) president Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh.
- Olympic medallist wrestler Yogeshwar Dutt, well-known shuttler Trupti Murgunde, former Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS) CEO Commander Rajesh Rajagopalan and former Executive Director (Team) of the Sports Authority of India (SAI) Radhica Sreeman are the other committee members.
- “It [the oversight committee] will investigate the serious charges levelled by the wrestlers and will submit its report within a month. Till then, the committee will carry out the WFI’s day-to-day work,” said Mr. Thakur.
- The panel will probe the allegations of sexual misconduct, harassment and intimidation, financial irregularities and administrative lapses, said a release.
- Kom and Mr. Dutt are also part of a seven-member committee formed by the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) to look into the wrestlers’ allegations. Ms. Kom heads the IOA panel as well.
- Several top Haryana-based World and Olympic medallist wrestlers, including Vinesh Phogat, Bajrang Punia and Sakshi Malik, began a protest in Delhi on Wednesday last. It was called off following assurances from Mr. Thakur.
SOURCE: THE HINDU, THE ECONOMIC TIMES, PIB