Recently, the Defence Minister flagged-in India’s first multi-dimensional adventure sports expedition conducted by National Institute of Mountaineering and Allied Sports (NIMAS) in France.
- The expedition was conducted in November 2021 and the team was led by Director NIMAS comprising 12 people – eight Army personnel and four youths of Arunachal Pradesh.
- The expedition team carried out over 250 kilometres of winter trekking in the Alps Mountain Ranges, which included Tour De Mont Blanc trek covering the French, Swiss and Italian Alps.
National Institute of Mountaineering and Allied Sports:
- It is an advanced sports training institute located in the West Kameng district of Arunachal Pradesh.
- It operates under the control and superintendence of the Ministry of Defence.
- The institute offers training across land, air and water, a first of its kind that allows civilians to experience challenges across a variety of outdoor surfaces as well as pursue a career in adventure sports. It provides structured training to defence personnel as well.
- Alps is a small segment of a discontinuous mountain chain that stretches from the Atlas Mountains of North Africa across southern Europe and Asia to beyond the Himalayas.
- The Alpine region encompasses eight European countries: Austria, France, Germany, Italy, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Slovenia and Switzerland.
- The Alps are an interzonal mountain system (Orobiome), or a “transition area” between Central and Mediterranean Europe.
SOURCE: THE HINDU,THE ECONOMIC TIMES,MINT