- Recently, the Ministry of Food Processing Industries and NAFED (National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation of India Limited) today launched six, One District One Product (ODOP) brands under the Pradhan Mantri Formalisation of Micro food processing Enterprises (PMFME) Scheme.
- The Ministry has signed an agreement with NAFED for developing 10 brands of selected ODOPs under the branding and marketing component of the PMFME scheme. Out of these, six brands are Amrit Phal, Cori Gold, Kashmiri Mantra, Madhu Mantra, Somdana, and Whole Wheat Cookies of Dilli Bakes.
- Launched under Atma Nirbhar Abhiyan, it aims to enhance the competitiveness of existing individual micro-enterprises in the unorganised segment of the food processing industry and to promote formalisation of the sector and provide support to Farmer Producer Organisations, Self Help Groups, and Producers Cooperatives along their entire value chain
- The scheme adopts the One District One Product (ODOP) approach to reap the benefit of scale in terms of procurement of inputs, availing common services and marketing of products.
- It will be implemented over a period of five years from 2020-21 to 2024-25.
National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation of India Ltd
- It is an apex organisation of marketing cooperatives for agricultural produce in India.
- It was founded on 2nd October 1958 and is registered under the Multi-State Co-operative Societies Act, 2002.
- NAFED is now one of the largest procurement as well as marketing agencies for agricultural products in India.
- To organise, promote and develop marketing, processing and storage of agricultural, horticultural and forest produce.
- To distribute agricultural machinery, implements and other inputs, undertake inter-state, import and export trade, wholesale or retail as the case may be.
- To act and assist for technical advice in agricultural production for the promotion and the working of its members, partners, associates and cooperative marketing, processing and supply societies in India.
SOURCE: THE HINDU,THE ECONOMIC TIMES,MINT