A state-backed Chinese company has won a contract to develop a key port in the Solomon Islands.
- Solomon Islands is an island country situated in the south-west Pacific Ocean, to the northeast of Australia.
- It comprises nine main island groups.
- Capital – Honiara, is located on Guadalcanal, the largest island.
- The population of Solomon Islands is predominantly Melanesian (about 95 per cent) although there are also small Polynesian, Micronesian, Chinese and European communities.
- There are 63 distinct languages in the country, with numerous local dialects.
- English is the official language but Solomons’ Pijin is the lingua franca for the majority of people.
SOURCE: THE HINDU, THE ECONOMIC TIMES, PIB