Recently, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of India, Armenia and Iran held the first trilateral political consultations in Yerevan
The three countries had a wide range of discussions on:
- Economic issues
- Regional communication
- Trilateral cooperation in various fields
Armenia and India
- In 2022, both the countries celebrated 30 years of bilateral diplomatic relations.
- Armenia and India maintain active political ties.
- Effective cooperation exists between the two nations within international bodies.
- After Armenia’s independence in 1991, Armenian-Indian relations were re-established.
- In 1992, Diplomatic relations were established between the Republic of Armenia and India.
- In 1999, the Indian Embassy in Yerevan began operations.
- The relations of India and Iran span millennia marked by meaningful interactions.
- Since the diplomatic relationship has been established in 1950 with the friendship treaty, the visits on the ministerial level have increased.
- Both have in place several bilateral consultative mechanisms at various levels which meet regularly.
- Joint Committee Meeting (JCM) chaired at the Ministerial level
- Foreign Office Consultations chaired at the Foreign Secretary level
- Joint Consular Committee Meeting at the level of Joint Secretary/DG
- India-Iran commercial ties were traditionally dominated by the Indian import of Iranian crude oil.
- Recently, Irani Ambassador to India described India as “most important to Iran”.
- Iran considers, the Chabahar port as the “Golden Gateway”, with which India is highly involved.
SOURCE: THE HINDU, THE ECONOMIC TIMES, PIB