- Discussions on integrated policies on sustainable forest management (SFM) and energy to meet the United Nations-mandated Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) took centre stage on the fourth day of the United Nations Forum on Forests (UNFF18).
- The eighteenth session of UNFF18 was held in New York.
- The United Nations Forum on Forests (UNFF) is a high-level intergovernmental policy forum.
- all United Nations member states and permanent observers,
- the UNFF Secretariat,
- the Collaborative Partnership on Forests,
- Regional Organizations and Processes and Major Groups.
- To facilitate implementation of forest-related agreements and foster a common understanding on sustainable forest management;
- To provide for continued policy development and dialogue as identified in Agenda 21
- To address forest issues and emerging areas of concern in a holistic, comprehensive and integrated manner,
- To enhance cooperation as well as policy and programme coordination on forest-related issues
- To foster international cooperation
- To monitor, assess and report on progress of the above functions and objectives
- To strengthen political commitment to the management, conservation and sustainable development of all types of forests.
SOURCE: THE HINDU, THE ECONOMIC TIMES, PIB