- Recently, the Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (Meity) inaugurated a 3-day workshop titled ‘Aadhaar 2.0- Ushering the Next Era of Digital Identity and Smart Governance’.
- The Workshop aims to analyze the reach of Digital Identity in major reforms and schemes launched by the Government.
- It also aims to look into various futuristic aspects of Digital Identity to achieve universal inclusion, both social as well as financial.
- It will provide a platform to share and exchange ideas with Government and Industry leaders, Eminent Academicians and Scientists, Innovators and Practitioners working on Digital Identity in India and abroad.
- The workshop will provide an opportunity to feed into the regional and global debates, while reflecting on India-specific challenges and opportunities to share best practices in terms of people, processes, technology, research, regulatory framework, legal policy and governance.
- Aadhaar can continue itself as one of the main enablers of identity verification in both on-line as well as offline mode in light of the SWIK rules (Social welfare, Innovation and Knowledge).
- For example, Aadhaar can deliver on e-gov; e-commerce and e-banking and finance in particular.
- Aadhaar to be developed as a framework for creating International standards for digital identity, a roadmap for International digital identity standards and across borders interoperability.
- Aadhar’s legal framework is settled with the Aadhaar Act, Supreme Court judgement, but for addressing privacy aspects Data Privacy Law needs to be enacted.
- Biometrics in Aadhar, can be improved using Artificial Intelligence and deep learning techniques.
- Blockchain-based technologies and applications as well as the impact of Aadhaar and these new technologies in the Banking sector should be explored.
SOURCE: THE HINDU,THE ECONOMIC TIMES,MINT