- World Heritage Day, also known as International Day for Monuments and Sites, is being observed on 18 April every year.
- The day is dedicated to the conservation and promotion of cultural heritage through various activities undertaken by the International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS).
- To mark World Heritage Day, various programmes and tours are organised by heritage sites.
- In 1982, ICOMOS suggested United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) that April 18 should be celebrated as the International Day for Monuments and Sites.
- UNESCO approved the proposal during the 22nd General Conference in 1983.
- The day is observed to raise awareness about the cultural heritage that we see around us. It is also aimed at promoting historical monuments and sites through which we can actually preserve the cultural integrity of a community as well.
- The theme for World Heritage Day 2021 is “Complex Pasts: Diverse Futures”.
SOURCE: THE ECONOMIC TIMES ,MINT