- Recently, the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) has launched a week-long awareness campaign on SafaiMitra Suraksha Challenge (SSC) as part of the ‘World Toilet Day’ (19th November) celebrations, to run up to the ‘Swachh Amrit Diwas’.
- The Swachh Amrit Diwas is an award ceremony to recognize the role and efforts of the states, cities, ULBs (Urban Local Bodies) and Cantonment Board in Swachh Survekshan 2021, and Garbage Free Star Rating certification on 20th November 2021.
World Toilet Day
- In 2013, the United Nations General Assembly officially designated 19th November as World Toilet Day. It is coordinated by UN-Water in collaboration with governments and partners.
- It aims to break the stigma around sanitation as the silence around the issue of toilets and sanitation has deadly consequences.
- The theme for the year 2021 is about valuing toilets.
- A total of 246 cities are participating in SSC which is being conducted across the country. The state capitals, urban local bodies and smart cities will be eligible to participate.
- Cities will be awarded in three sub-categories – with a population of more than 10 lakhs, 3-10 lakhs and upto 3 lakhs, with a total prize money of Rs. 52 crore.
- It is one of the government efforts to combat manual scavenging.
SOURCE: THE HINDU,THE ECONOMIC TIMES,MINT