- As many as 27 migratory birds have been reported dead on account of avian influenza in the Pong Dam Wildlife Sanctuary area of Himachal Pradesh.
- Pong Dam Wildlife Sanctuary:
- The Pong Dam also called the Beas dam is an artificial embankment Dam constructed across the Beas river in Himachal Pradesh.
- The Reservoir created by the dam is called Maharana Pratap Sagar and is a renowned Bird Sanctuary.
- The dam was constructed for hydroelectric power generation and irrigation.
- Pong Dam Wildlife Sanctuary is also a Ramsar Site.
- Maharana Pratap Sagar is located in the wetland zone of Shivalik Hills.
SOURCE: THE HINDU, THE ECONOMIC TIMES,MINT