VL-SRSAM MISSILE SYSTEM
Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) conducted two successful launches of Vertical Launch Short Range Surface to Air Missile (VL-SRSAM).
Important points :
- The launches were carried out from a static vertical launcher from Integrated Test Range (ITR), Chandipur, off the coast of Odisha.
- Prior to the test, around 8,000 people residing within two km radius of the ITR were evacuated as part of safety measures.
- VL-SRSAM is meant for neutralizing various aerial threats at close ranges including sea-skimming targets.
- It has been indigenously designed and developed by DRDO for the Indian Navy.
- The canister-based state-of-the-art weapon system can identify, track, engage and destroy the target with high kill probability. It has a strike range of about 40 km.