A successful training launch of a Medium-Range Ballistic Missile, Agni-1 was carried out by the Strategic Forces Command from APJ Abdul Kalam Island, Odisha recently.
Agni-1 ballistic missile
- The word “Agni” means fire.
- The medium-range Agni-1 ballistic missile has a strike range of over 700 kilometres and weighs around 12,000 kilograms.
- It is also capable of carrying a payload of up to 1,000 kg.
- It is a two-stageAgni technology demonstrator, with a solid-fuel first stage
What is a ballistic missile?
- A ballistic missile uses projectile motionto deliver warheads on a target.
- These weapons are powered only during relatively brief periods—most of the flight is unpowered.
- Short-rangeballistic missiles stay within the Earth’s atmosphere, while intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) are launched on a sub-orbital flight.
The Agni Missile system:
- The Agni missile is a family of medium to intercontinental range ballistic missiles.
- Agni missiles are long range, nuclear weaponscapable, surface to surface ballistic missiles.
- The first missileof the series, Agni-I was developed under the Integrated Guided Missile Development Program (lGMDP) and tested in 1989.
SOURCE: THE HINDU, THE ECONOMIC TIMES, PIB