4.PERIYAR TIGER RESERVE
A caretaker will lead the training and a doctor will monitor the health condition of the cub.
- For the first time in the country, the Periyar Tiger Reserve (PTR) is training a tiger cub to naturally hunt its prey in the forest environment.
- It was a chance endowed with the officials of PTR when the tiger cub was found abandoned inside the forest on border with Tamil Nadu on November 21.
- The cub was in a weak condition and medical care and food supplements were given to it in a temporary shelter near to the place where it was sighted.
- Periyar National Park and Wildlife Sanctuary (PNP) is a protected area near Thekkady in the districts of Idukki, Kottayam and Pathanamthitta in Kerala
- It is notable as an elephant reserve and a tiger reserve.
- The park is a repository of rare, endemic and endangered flora and fauna and forms the major watershed of two important rivers of Kerala, the Periyar and the Pamba.
- The park is often called the Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary or Thekkady.
- It is located high in the Cardamom Hills and Pandalam Hills of the south Western Ghats along the border with Tamil Nadu.
- The first official action towards the conservation of wildlife and biodiversity in Kerala was taken in 1934 by the Maharaja of Travancore, Chithira Thirunal Balarama Varma, by declaring the forests around Periyar lake as a private game reserve to stop the encroachment of tea plantations
SOURCE: THE HINDU