WORLD PULSES DAY
February 10 is observed as World Pulses Day.
About World Pulses Day:
- The UN General Assembly in 2019 decided to dedicate a day to Pulses to increase awareness and access to pulses globally known as World Pulses Day.
- The World Pulses Day falls on February 10 every year and recognised pulses as a global food.
- On this Day, people make efforts in creating awareness about the importance of pulses in sustainable food production.
- World Pulses Day 2021 theme – #LovePulses
Significance of pulses:
- Pulses are important for a healthy diet.
- Pulses are rich in nutritional and protein values.
- Pulses, and legumes (lentils, peas, chickpeas, beans, soybeans, and peanuts) play an equally important role in health maintenance and overall improvement.
- Pulses also contribute majorly to achieving the goals of the 2030 Agenda of Sustainable Development.
- Pulses and legume crops help in improving the feasibility of agricultural production systems.
- Pulses provide environmental benefits. The nitrogen-fixing properties of pulses improve soil fertility, which increases the productivity and fertility of the farmland.