- ISRO releases images of Earth captured by its EOS-06 satellite
- EOS-6 is the third-generation satellite in the Oceansat series.
- This is to provide continuity services of Oceansat-2 spacecraft with enhanced payload specifications as well as application areas.
- Ocean Color Monitor (OCM-3)
- Sea Surface Temperature Monitor (SSTM)
- Ku-Band Scatterometer (SCAT-3)
- To ensure the data continuity of Ocean colour and wind vector data to sustain the operational applications.
- To improve the applications, some additional datasets such as Sea Surface Temperature and more number of bands are accommodated.
- To develop / improve related algorithms and data products to serve in well- established application areas and to enhance the mission utility.
Other Satellites in the EOS Series
- EOS-01: It is an Earth Observation satellite for Agriculture, Forestry & disaster management support
- EOS-03: An Agile Earth Observation satellite in Geostationary orbit.
- EOS-04: It is a Radar Imaging satellite meant to provide high quality images under all weather conditions.
- EOS-05: Earth Observation Satellite in the Geostationary Orbit.
- EOS-06: Applications include ocean related services.
Earth Observation Satellites
An Earth observation satellite also called Earth remote sensing satellite is a satellite designed for Earth observation (EO) from orbit.
- Environmental monitoring
- A geostationary orbit allows a satellite to hover over a constant spot on the earth.
- The orbital period at this altitude is 24 hours.
- This allows uninterrupted coverage of more than 1/3 of the Earth per satellite.
- Three satellites, spaced 120° apart, can cover the whole Earth except the extreme polar regions.
- This type of orbit is mainly used for meteorological satellites.
SOURCE: THE HINDU, THE ECONOMIC TIMES, PIB