- Recently, the US Congressional report on terrorism stated that Pakistan is home to at least 12 groups designated as Foreign Terrorist Organisation (FTO).
- The report named Terrorist and Other Militant Groups in Pakistan, released by the bipartisan research wing of US Congress in the Quad summit 2021.
- Earlier, in February 2021, the Financial Action Task Force (FATF)had decided to retain Pakistan on the greylist.
Foreign Terrorist Organisation
FTO are foreign organizations that are designated by the Secretary of State US. This plays a critical role in fight against terrorism and is an effective means of curtailing support for terrorist activities and pressuring groups to get out of the terrorism business.
- Pakistan has continued to serve as a safe haven for certain regionally focused terrorist groups, and has allowed groups targeting Afghanistan as well as groups targeting India to operate from its territory.
- Pakistan’s neighbours, including Afghanistan and India, and the US have long accused Islamabad of providing safe haven and support to militants.
Categorization of Terrorist Groups:
- Afghanistan oriented
- India- and Kashmir-oriented
- Domestically oriented
- Sectarian (anti-Shia).
SOURCE: THE HINDU,THE ECONOMIC TIMES,MINT