The India Industrial Land Bank (IILB), a GIS-based portal, has seen a 30% increase in page views each month since April 2021.
- Department for Promotion of Industry & Internal Trade (DPIIT) has developed IILB portal, a GIS-enabled database of industrial areas/clusters across the country to adopt a committed approach towards resource optimization, industrial upgradation and sustainability.
- The portal serves as a one-stop solution to the free and easy accessibility of all industrial information including availability of raw material, agriculture, horticulture, minerals, natural resources; distance from key logistic nodes; layers of terrain and urban infrastructure.
- It aims to provide information on available land for prospective investors looking at setting up units in the Country.
- It also provides links to State GIS Portals and State Land Banks.
Geographic Information System (GIS):
- A GIS is a computer system for capturing, storing, checking, and displaying data related to positions on Earth’s surface.
- By relating seemingly unrelated data, GIS can help individuals and organizations better understand spatial patterns and relationships.
- GIS can use any information that includes location. The location can be expressed in many different ways, such as latitude and longitude, address, or ZIP code.
- GIS can include data about people, such as population, income, or education level.
- It can also include information about the sites of factories, farms, and schools, or storm drains, roads, and electric power lines etc.
SOURCE: THE HINDU,THE ECONOMIC TIMES,MINT