3.NATIONAL METROLOGY CONCLAVE 2021
- Recently, the Prime Minister has inaugurated the National Metrology Conclave 2021and also laid the foundation stone of National Environmental Standards Laboratory through a video conference.
- The Conclave was organised by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research- National Physical Laboratory (CSIR-NPL), New Delhi, on its 75 year of inception.
- National Atomic Time Scale and BharatiyaNirdeshakDravyaPranaliwere dedicated to the nation on the occasion.
- Metrology is defined by the International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM) as “the science of measurement, embracing both experimental andtheoretical determinations at any level of uncertainty in any field of scienceand technology”.
NATIONAL ATOMIC TIME SCALE:
- The National Atomic Time Scale generates Indian Standard Time with an accuracy of 2.8 nanoseconds.
- The longitude of 82°30′ E has been selected as the ‘standard meridian’ of India against which the Indian Standard Time is set.
- Now Indian Standard Time is matching the International Standard Time with the accuracy range of less than 3 nanoseconds.
- CSIR-NPL is the National Measurement Institute of India and authorized (by an act of Parliament) to realize and maintain the Indian Standard Time(IST).
- IST is realized at CSIR-NPL through the National Primary Time Scale consisting of a bank of ultra-stable atomic clocks.
- CSIR-NPL is on a mission to synchronize all the clocks in the nation to IST for securing digital infrastructure and reducing cyber crime.
- CSIR-NPL is strengthening the national timing infrastructure of India, where a very rough estimate shows an economic impact of more than 10% of GDP.
- This will be a big help for organizations like Indian Space Research Organisationwho are working with cutting edge technology.
- Banking, railways, defense, health, telecom, weather forecast, disaster management , Industry4.0and many similar sectors will be benefitedgreatly from this achievement.
BHARTIYA NIRDESHAK DRAVYA PRANALI (BND):
- These are Indian reference materials developed by CSIR-NPL.
- It is committed to ensure the quality of products in every manufacturing and consumersector by providing SI traceable measurements and enhancing quality life of citizens through metrology
- SI system is used to describe units of measurement in the International System (from French ‘Système International’).
- Reference materials (RM) play a pivotal role in maintaining the quality infrastructure of any economy through testing and calibration with precisemeasurements traceable to SI units. NPLI has recently released two veryimportant certified RMs as BharatiyaNirdeshakDravyas (BNDs) for purity of gold and for Bituminous coal.
- Recently, the Govt of India (GoI) has supported NPLI to strengthen its BND program by developing BNDs in the area of AYUSH, Materials,Nanotechnology, Medicine, Food & Agriculture and Biologics
- The availability of SI traceable BNDs are poised to boost the “Make in India” program and harmonize the quality infrastructure of the country.