- Recently, the Prime Minister visited the exhibition models of the Aligarh node of the upcoming Uttar Pradesh Defence Industrial Corridor.
- It was announced by the Prime Minister while inaugurating the UP Investors Summit in Lucknow in 2018.
- The government has established another Defence Industrial Corridor in Tamil Nadu.
- It is an aspirational project that intends to reduce foreign dependency of the Indian Aerospace & Defence Sector.
- It will have 6 nodes – Aligarh, Agra, Kanpur, Chitrakoot, Jhansi and Lucknow.
- The Uttar Pradesh Expressways Industrial Development Authority (UPEIDA) is the nodal agency to execute this project in conjunction with various other state agencies.
- It aims to bring up the state as one of the largest & advanced Defence manufacturing hubs and put it on the world map.
- Single Window approvals and clearances to Defence and Aerospace (D&A) manufacturing units via Nivesh Mitra.
- Nivesh Mitra Portal has been launched by the Government of Uttar Pradesh to ease the Ease of Doing Business in the state.
- Labour Permits for D&A industry towards flexible employment conditions.
- Simple Procedures and rationalised regulatory regime with easy reimbursement of incentives and subsidies.
- Uttar Pradesh is the fourth largest state in India and the third largest economy within the country.
- With a population of more than 200 million, UP has the highest number of available labour force and is one of the top five manufacturing states in India.
- The state also ranks first in terms of number of Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) in the country and ranks 2nd in Ease of Doing Business (EoDB)
Its success would lie in addressing the concern of ‘Make in India’ in addressing the concern of industry, attracting investments, generating employment, creating contemporary technologies, aiding the growth of the manufacturing sector and making India Self-reliant.
SOURCE: THE HINDU,THE ECONOMIC TIMES ,MINT