3.DEMAND FOR AUTONOMY IN ASSAM
There has been a demand for implementation of Article 244A for the creation of an autonomous State within Assam
- The appeal to the Centre has been for the creation of an autonomous State for the KarbiAnglong region.
- The districts are currently governed by two autonomous councils KarbiAnglong and North Cachar hills.
DEFINITION OF SCHEDULED AND TRIBAL AREAS:
- The areas inhabited by the socially and educationally backward ‘Aboriginals’ are called Scheduled Areas.
ADMINISTRATION OF SCHEDULED AND TRIBAL AREAS:
- There are two schedules (5 and 6 ) of the Indian Constitution which entail the details about the control and management of the Scheduled and Tribal Areas.
FIFTH SCHEDULE OF THE INDIAN CONSTITUTION:
- The provisions regarding the administration and control of Scheduled and Tribal Areas of any state except the four states (Assam, Meghalaya,Tripura, Mizoram) are mentioned under this schedule.
- At present, 10 States namely Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Odisha, Rajasthan and Telangana have Fifth Schedule Areas.
Sixth Schedule of the Indian Constitution
- This schedule deals with the administration and control of the scheduled and tribal areas of the four states of Assam, Meghalaya, Tripura, Mizoram.