MONPA HANDMADE PAPER
People patronize Monpa Handmade Paper of Tawangafter PM’s push in Mann kiBaat.
Monpa Handmade Paper:
- These are handcrafted by artisans from Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh.
- Monpa Handmade paper is made from the bark of tree Shugu Sheng grown locally in Tawang and is identified by its distinctive translucent fibrous texture.
- The paper is weightless but its natural fibres add great tensile strength to this paper making it apt for various art works.
- Monpa handmade paper has been used for writing Buddhist scriptures, manuscripts and for making prayer flags.
- Writing on this paper is also known to be tamper-proof.
- The paper was once produced in every household in Tawang and was exported to many countries like Tibet, Bhutan, Myanmar and Japan among others.
- However, with the new technologies coming in, the handmade paper industry almost disappeared in the last 100 years.