NATIONAL HANDLOOM DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME (NHDP)
- It is a central sector scheme to support weavers both within and outside the cooperative fold including Self Help Groups, NGOs, etc.
- It follows a need-based approach for integrated and holistic development of handlooms and welfare of handloom weavers.
- It supports weavers in getting raw materials, design inputs, technology up-gradation, marketing , support through exhibitions, create permanent infrastructure in the form of Urban Haats, marketing complexes, development of web portal for e-marketing of handloom products, etc.
- With this the weavers have been benefited by waivers of overdue loans, availing loans at concessional rates, participation in exhibitions/fairs/craft melas for marketing handloom products, upgradation of looms and training to improve their earnings.
Chief components of the scheme include:
- Block level cluster projects
- Handloom marketing assistance
- Concessional credit
- Handloom census (data regarding handloom weavers, number of handlooms, number of handlooms engaged in commercial and domestic use, etc.)
- Some of the other components include handloom parks, research and development, publicity, training, etc