2.NATIONAL CONFERENCE WITH STATES ON LOGISTICS
The National Conference with States on Logistics was organised by the Department of Commerce.
OBJECTIVE OF THE CONFERENCE:
- To initiate a consultative and collaborative framework for the Central and State Governments to work in a coordinated manner in the logistic sector.
OUTCOME OF THE CONFERENCE:
- The conference reiterated the role states play in improving the logistics performance of the country.
- A comprehensive 18 Point Agenda was presented to the States to improve logistics.
Thrust areas for logistics improvements in the States were identified as the following:
- City logistics
- Simplification of approvals for warehouses
- Facilitation for warehousing development
- Reducing the burden on truck movement
- Addressing the shortage of truck drivers
- It was decided that the Ministry of Commerce & Industry will work with the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs to focus on 50 cities for logistics planning initially.
- A plan for facilitation to reduce enforcement burden on truck drivers will be developed.
- Many States have already appointed senior officers as nodal officers for logistics and others will do the same in a short period of time.
- State Level Coordination Committees on Logistics will be formed.
- Central Ministries looking after the transportation will appoint State Nodal Officers to coordinate with the States.
- It was decided to rank states based on logistics performance.
- The State ranking will focus on data in addition to perspective on logistics performance.