2. SINGLE WINDOW CLEARANCE PORTAL OF MINISTRY OF COAL
Union Home Minister launches Single Window Clearance Portal of Ministry of Coal.
- The newly launched portal is a unified platform that facilitates grant of clearances and approvals required for starting a coal mine in India.
- Currently, about 19 major approval or clearances are required to be obtained before starting a coal mine in the country.
- Some of them include approval of Mining Plan and Mine Closure Plan, Grant of Mining Lease, Environment and Forest Clearances, Wild Life Clearance, Clearances related to Safety, Environment, Rehabilitation of project affected families, welfare of workers, etc.
- These approvals or clearances are granted either by central or state governments.
- In the absence of a unified platform for grant of clearances/approvals for starting of a coal mine, the project proponents are required to approach different administrative ministries and government departments separately to apply for the requisite clearances leading to delay in operationalization of coal mines.
- Now, the complete process shall be facilitated through the Single Window Clearance Portal, which will map not only the relevant application formats, but also process flow for grant of approval or clearances.
- Commercial coal mining was announced as part of the Aatmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan.
- Auctions were held for the same in June 2020 and it resulted in 19 successful bidders being allotted mines.
- This is expected to generate more revenue, create additional jobs and also reduce India’s coal imports by 20%.