The INS Sarvekshak is on a deployment to Mauritius for undertaking Hydrogrpahic surveys along with Mauritius. It will also provide training to the Mauritian personnel on advanced hydrographic equipment and practices during the deployment.
- INS Sarvekshak has visited Port Louis and commenced the hydrographic survey of “Deep Sea Area off Port Louis”.
- The Hydrographic surveys help in the measurement of ocean features that affect marine dredging, maritime navigation, offshore oil exploration and drilling and other related activities.
- The INS Sarvekshak is fitted with survey equipment such as Side Scan Sonars, Deep Sea Multi Beam Echo Sounder and a completely automated digital surveying and processing system.
- It operates under the Southern Naval Command.
- INS Sarvekshak had earlier been deployed in Mauritius for surveys in 2006, 2011, 2015. It has conducted Survey of Rodrigues for delineation of continental shelf, survey of passes off Mauritian coast, survey of Port Harbour.
- The survey works of INS Sarvekshak are of immense help to the Mauritius Government in the field of fishing, establishment of artificial reefs, ecosystem preservation and management.
- In 2007, INS Sarvekshak surveyed Port Mathurin located in Rodrigues of Mauritius that was last surveyed more than hundred years ago.
- The INS Sarvekshak carries an integral Chetak helicopter. The helicopter is deployed during the survey.
- It has also undertaken various foreign surveys along the coasts of Tanzania, Seychelles and Kenya.
- INS Sarvekshak was the first ship of Indian Navy to deploy solar power.
- Indian Naval Ships for surveys
- The Indian Naval ships involved in surveying are INS Darshak, INS Sagardhwani, INS Investigator, INS Sarvekshak, INS Sandhayak, INS Sutlej, INS Nirupak, INS Jamuna, INS Makar.
SOURCE:THE HINDU ,THE ECONOMIC TIMES ,MINT