- Recently, the union government has introduced Patents (Amendment) Rules, 2021 which has reduced the fee for patent filing and prosecution for educational institutions by 80%.
- It is aimed at promoting innovation and development of new technologies.
- A patent is a form of preservation of intellectual property. It is an exclusive right granted for an invention, which is a product or a process that provides, in general, a new way of doing something, or offers a new technical solution to a problem.
- To get a patent, technical information about the invention must be disclosed to the public in a patent application.
Criteria for an Invention:
- It should be novel.
- Must involve an inventive step (technical advancement)
- Capable of industrial application
It has been now extended to 8 more categories of Patent Applicants:
- SME (Small and Medium Enterprises), Female applicants, Government Departments, Institutions established by a Central, Provincial or State Act, Government Company, an Institution wholly or substantially financed by the Government and applicants under Patents Prosecution Highway.
- The Patent Prosecution Highway (PPH) is a set of initiatives for providing accelerated patent prosecution procedures by sharing information between some patent offices.
SOURCE: THE HINDU,THE ECONOMIC TIMES ,MINT