Kala Utsav 2020 concluded.
About Kala Utsav:
- Kala Utsav is an initiative of the Ministry of Human Resource Development (now called Ministry of Education) under RashtriyaMadhyamikShikshaAbhiyan, to promote arts in education by nurturing and showcasing the artistic talent of school students at the secondary stage in the country.
- In the context of education of arts (music, theatre, dance, visual arts and crafts), the initiative is guided by the recommendations of the National Curriculum Framework 2005 (NCF-2005).
- Kala Utsav 2020 was launched online in January 2021 through a digital platform.
- Many teams from various states/UTs participated in the competitions which included dancing, singing, instrumental music, visual arts, etc.
- This scheme was launched in March 2009 with the objective to enhance access to secondary education and to improve its quality.
- It is envisaged to achieve an enrolment rate of 75% from 52.26% in 2005-06 at secondary stage of implementation of the scheme by providing a secondary school within a reasonable distance of any habitation.
- The other stated objectives include improving quality of education imparted at secondary level through making all secondary schools conform to prescribed norms, removing gender, socio-economic and disability barriers, providing universal access to secondary level education by 2017, i.e., by the end of the 12th Five Year Plan and achieving universal retention by 2020.
- It is a centrally sponsored scheme and implemented by the State government societies established for implementation of the scheme.
Physical facilities provided under the scheme:
- Additional class rooms
- Art and crafts room
- Toilet blocks
- Drinking water provisions
- Residential hostels for teachers in remote areas
Quality interventions undertaken:
- Appointment of additional teachers to reduce PTR to 30:1
- Focus on Science, Math and English education
- In-service training of teachers
- Science laboratories
- ICT enabled education
- Curriculum reforms
- Teaching learning reforms
- The SamagraShikshaAbhiyanwas formed by subsuming the RashtriyaMadhyamikShikshaAbhiyanwith the SarvaShikshaAbhiyanand Teacher Education schemes.