The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways Shri Nitin Gadkari recently announced that the project of Khadi and Village Industries (KVIC) called RE-HAB has become a huge success. Thus, it is to be implemented in other states as well. This includes Odisha, West Bengal, Jharkhand, Assam, Chhattisgarh, Tamil Nadu, and Kerala.
- Project RE-HAB is Reducing Elephant Human Attacks using Bees. It was launched at four spots in the Nagarhole National Park of Karnataka. The project aims to prevent elephant human conflicts without creating harm to either of them. The project is highly cost effective.
- The project uses bee boxes as fence to prevent elephants from entering human habitation. The buzz of the bees irritates elephants. Also, elephants fear that the bees might sting them in the inner side of the trunk and in their eyes.
- The bee boxes were provided as a part of Honey Mission.
The Honey Mission was launched by KVIC in 2017. The main aim of the mission is to provide awareness and training in bee keeping.
- The Man-Animal Conflict has increased in the country lately. More than 2,400 people have been killed in conflicts with wild elephants all over India since 2015. On the other hand, more than 510 elephants were killed since 2015 in man-elephant conflicts.
- The Nagarhole National Park is also called the Rajiv Gandhi National Park. It was established in 1955. In 1999, the GoI declared the park as a Tiger Reserve under Project Tiger. In 2021, the Srivilliputhur Meghamalai Tiger Reserve was added to the list.
- Nagarhole National Park is a part of the Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve