The United Kingdom had decided to provide long-range Storm Shadow cruise missiles to Ukraine.
- Since Russia invaded Ukraine in Feb, 2022, Ukraine has so far received a wide variety of weapons and ammunition, including anti-tank missiles, anti-aircraft systems and artillery from its Western Allies.
- The storm Shadow is the latest addition to it. The use of Storm Shadow will allow Ukraine to push back Russian forces based within Ukrainian sovereign territory.
- Storm Shadow is a long-ranged, air-launched, conventionally armed, deep-strike cruise missile.
- With a range of more than 250 km, Storm Shadow weighs 1,300 kg and is 5.10m long.
- It is manufactured by the France-based MBDA Missile System.
- It’s capable of being operated day and night in all weathers and designed to destroy high-valued stationary targets such as airbases, radar installations, communications hubs and port facilities.
- Storm Shadow, equipped with the fire and forget technology, also offers high precision deep strike capability as it features a sophisticated navigation system that includes inertial navigation (INS) and global positioning system (GPS).
SOURCE: THE HINDU, THE ECONOMIC TIMES, PIB