Recently, the Union Minister for Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare has launched “Madhu Kranti Portal & Honey Corners.
- It is an initiative of National Bee Board (NBB), Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare under National Beekeeping & Honey Mission (NBHM).
- This portal is being developed for online registration to achieve a traceability source of Honey and other beehive products on a digital platform.
- The platform will help in checking the quality and source of adulteration of honey
- The portal will help in increasing income of the farmers, boost exports and increase employment generation.
- The portal will hold the database of all the stakeholders involved in honey production, marketing chains, hive production and sales.
- It will increase the reach of honey to international markets.
- Honey Corners are special spaces for the marketing and sale of honey.
- It is operated by National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation of India Ltd (NAFED).
- National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation of India Ltd.
- The NAFED is registered under the Multi State Cooperative Societies Act.
- It was set up in 1958 with the objective to promote cooperative marketing of Agricultural Produce to benefit the farmers.
National Bee Board
- Small Farmers’ Agribusiness Consortium (SFAC) registered the NBB as a society under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 in 2000 and it was reconstituted (with the secretary as chairman) in June 2006.
- Overall development of beekeeping by promoting scientific beekeeping in India to increase the productivity of crops through pollination and increase the honey production for increasing the income of the beekeepers/farmers.
- PresentlyNBB is implementing National Horticulture Mission (NHM) and Horticulture Mission for North East and Himalayan State (HMNEM)
- The mission was announced as part of the AtmaNirbhar Bharat scheme. It is a central sector scheme.
- NBHM aims for the overall promotion & development of scientific beekeeping in the country to achieve the goal of ‘Sweet Revolution’ which is being implemented through the National Bee Board (NBB).
- The Honey Mission was launched in August 2017 in line with the ‘Sweet Revolution’.
- The ‘Sweet Revolution’ was launched in 2016 to promote beekeeping and associated activities.
- Under the Honey Mission, Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) provides awareness, training and ‘Bee Boxes’ along with Bee Colonies to the farmers.
SOURCE: THE HINDU ,THE ECONOMIC TIMES ,MINT