Union Minister launched NanoSniffer, a microsensor based explosive trace detector.
What is NanoSniffer?
- NanoSniffer is the world’s first microsensor based Explosive Trace Detector (ETD) developed by NanoSniff Technologies, an IIT Bombay incubated startup.
- NanoSniffer has been marketed by Vehant Technologies, a spin-off from a former IIT Delhi incubated startup Kritikal Solutions.
- NanoSniffer is a 100% ‘Made in India’ product in terms of research, development & manufacturing. The core technology of NanoSniffer is protected by patents in the U.S. & Europe.
- NanoSniffer can detect explosives in less than 10 seconds and it also identifies and categorizes explosives into different classes.
- It detects all classes of military, conventional and homemade explosives.
- NanoSniffer gives visible & audible alerts with sunlight-readable colour display.
- Given the constant threats, which India faces due to geo-political realities, explosives & contraband detection has become a norm at high security locations like airports, railways & metro stations, hotels, malls, and other public places.
- Check points at such locations are incorporating advanced detection equipment for rapid scanning of people and baggage.
- Almost all these products for explosive detection are imported at a high cost leading to the loss of valuable foreign exchange by the country.
- NanoSniffer is a perfect substitute for such products.
- This is significant because this affordable device will reduce India’s dependency on imported explosive trace detector devices.
- NanoSniff has passed tests conducted by DRDO’s High Energy Materials Research Laboratory (HEMRL), Pune; and by the National Security Guard (NSG) as well.
SOURCE: THE HINDU,THE ECONOMIC TIMES,MINT